Sunday, March 27, 2011

Race Day Recap..

Well, I know you all have been chomping at the bit waiting for this post.. and I apologize for keeping ya waiting.. but I was SO exhausted after the race yesterday (and the drive back) that I just stayed in bed the rest of the day.. lol

Let's start from the beginning, shall we?!

In case you have no idea what race I'm talking about, I'll fill ya in.. I had found a 5k race for the Indiana University Chapter of Habitat for Humanity.. and I figured it'd be something that Katie and Blubeari might be interested in doing with me.. So I let them know, and they were in.. :)  It was in Bloomington, Indiana, which is about 90 miles north of where I'm at.. Katie drove over to me, then I drove us up to Bloomington.. 


I packed most of my stuff the night before, got my "outfit" ready (don't wanna forget anything important.. aka my sports bra) and made sure my iPod was charging.. I even made a special playlist to listen to.. I decided to take only my wallet and inhaler(instead of my whole purse).. wanna guess what I forgot??  Yeah, my iPod stayed in the charging dock.. and my debit card and license were in my purse.. SHIT!

Honestly, I thought that the race was supposed to start at 9am.. So Katie got here a little before 6:30am, and we left.. We stopped for gas/food/bathrooms pretty early, because it was 20 cents/gallon cheaper in Seymour.. that's when I realized I'd left my debit card at home.. after finding out that I was basically screwed, Katie loaned me the money (she's so sweet!).. So we got to Bloomington a few minutes after 8am.. We were worried that something was up when we saw that they were JUST putting up the signs when we got there.. and then I looked at the tickets and saw that it started at 10am, not 9am.. ugh!!

So Katie said something about the playground, and we drove over there to play a little.. :)  There was this HUGE jungle gym that we walked around in, this huge rope thing that Katie went up.. I was too chicken to try.. lol.. and then we swung a little, among a few other things.. 

This thing HAD to be 20 feet high..
So we started the race, and I honestly can't believe I lasted through a whole 5k with NO music.. but I did.. and while it was touch and go for a bit (the whole second mile was uphill, damn it!), I finished under the 45 minute goal I had set for myself..  I finished at 40:12.. and for my first 5k, I'm okay with that.. I have tons of races to improve with.. :)




Katie, thankfully, got a pic of me crossing the finish line.. :)
Me before the race.. with my brother's
hoodie on, you can't tell I've lost
any weight at all.. lol



Right before they fired the starting gun..
My race bib.. I'm gonna make a scrapbook
collage thingy to commemerate it.. :)
I had a blast, all in all.. my thighs were killing me, and I had to use my inhaler twice afterwards, but I didn't keel over, and my ankle wasn't hurting after.. yay!! 

6 comments:

  1. 40 is a GREAT time for your first 5k!! Can't wait to run with you in May!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That is great. Please show us the scrap of the number, I love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun day!! Sucks you forgot the ipod, but I’ve always thought that runner without music are TOUGH, so kudos to you! Congrats on your first 5K, that’s a great time too :}

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great time - you should be very proud of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done!! Congratulations :) I bet you felt so good for entering and completing the race above your expected finishing time :)

    ReplyDelete